Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day 5-Guinness

After the wedding we met a large number of the wedding guests for a city tour of Dublin. We had to all cram into a small bus to take us into town. I had to sit on David's lap for the ride in. Poor Sheila got car sick in the bus. I took one look at it and started gagging. I thought I was going to lose it too. You'd think my stomach would be rock solid now after having a kid. She's only thrown up once and I can handle anything of hers bathroom related. I just felt bad for Sheila!
We rode around the city for a bit and shopped for souvenirs. We grabbed lunch at a place called Abracadabra. It was close by and looked pretty quick. OMG it was GOOD. I got these fries with a garlic sauce. We later found out it was an Irish fast food place. It was yummy! The day was ending and so we decided to take the bus over to the Guinness factory for the tour. Even though I absolutely hate beer I went along for the ride.

Guiness

Guinness signed a 9000 year lease for 45 Euros a year.

9000 year lease

Lease



Guinness



Guinness



Mr Man



Mr Man


The first room was a wall of TVs that showed all of the ingredients to the beer.

TVs



Ingredients



Barley


David was a good sport and took a bunch of pictures of the barley for me.

Barley


I am embarrassed to say I didn't even know what hops was...

Hops

I definitely didn't know it was a plant!

Hops



'



Yeast

The water feature was closed :-(

Water



Water

I hope it was closed due to cleaning because it was nasty!

Nastiness



5th Ingredient


The man himself.

The Master


The line of master brewers

Master Brewers



Brewing

This was a pretty cool screen that simulated roasting of the barley

Roasting Barley

Roasted barley that you were allowed to taste.

Roasted Barley

The outside of a huge barrel

Barrel



Mashing



Fermentation



Boiling

A huge copper pot

Boiling


That's Ryan in the shot

Maturation (and Ryan)



Maturation

The tasting room was next. I decided I was going to give it a little taste. OMG that stuff was NASTY! I wanted to go wash my mouth out. I just don't understand how people drink that stuff!

Tasting Room


David loved it and he swore it tasted better in Ireland than it did at home

Love



Love



Heat



Barrel



Barrel

The Guinness Harp that shouldn't be confused with the harp that is used for Ireland

Harp

With every entry you got a full pint of beer. David and John went to a station where you learned to pour a pint the "correct" way. This picture is the tap that was lit up and I didn't realize until later that this was David's certificate that was laying there.
Seal of approval!

The tap

Tap

David being instructed on how to pour

David's turn

Apparently the beer has to set before you top it off

Almost there...



Practice

John's turn!

Practice



Guinness

Star student!

Certificate



Cheers!



Perfect pint


David really liked the Santa bottle

Ho ho ho!

After the guys finished their pints (I got a free Coke) we walked around Grafton Street.

Grafton Street

No comments: