Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 8-All around Kutna Hora

This set of pictures is just around Kutna Hora. It was getting later in the day so we weren't able to stop and look at everything.

Ryan and John took these couple of pictures while I was still inside the church taking pictures.
DSC00259

DSC00258
One of the streets that we walked down. I got a piece of art and some other souvenirs.
IMG_8992_edited-1
I was kind of obsessed with all of the doors. I just thought they were all so beautiful.
IMG_8993_edited-1
St James Church
IMG_8994_edited-1
The Italian Court. Was a former mint as well as a royal residence.
IMG_9001_edited-1

IMG_8999_edited-1

IMG_8998_edited-1

IMG_8997_edited-1

IMG_8995_edited-1

IMG_9002_edited-1

IMG_9004_edited-1
These were the different marks of the minters.
IMG_9012_edited-1
Loved the windows!
IMG_9009_edited-1

IMG_9011_edited-1
One of the rooms in the residence that was being renovated. I thought the painted wood ceilings were gorgeous!
IMG_9016_edited-1

IMG_9013_edited-1

IMG_9021_edited-1

IMG_9018_edited-1

IMG_9017_edited-1

IMG_9022_edited-1
It was said this doorway accommodated a king that could walk under it without stooping...even with his crown on
IMG_9025_edited-1
I loved the keys our tour guide used to open all of the doors so I asked her if I could take a picture. :-)
IMG_9026_edited-1
David had to go to the bathroom so I snapped some more shots of the outside.
IMG_9030_edited-1
The door was solid wood so thick!
IMG_9028_edited-1

IMG_9027_edited-1

IMG_9034_edited-1

IMG_9031_edited-1
I loved the dusting of snow
IMG_9036_edited-1
St Barbara Cathedral and the university
IMG_9037_edited-1

IMG_9041_edited-1
Streets of Kutna Hora
IMG_9042_edited-1
St James Church
IMG_9043_edited-1
Not a great picture, but this is where we ate lunch. I had the most AMAZING meal EVER!! It was a yummy mixed vegetable and chicken with rice mixed with leeks. Oh it was scrumptious! I had a glass of Kutna Hora wine and it was wonderful as well. One thing that was odd about Czech was that dogs were allowed everything. Stores, restaurants, you name it. A German couple comes in with their German Shepard and it is HUGE! They said he was a pure breed. He must have been authentic because I've never seen a German Shepard this large.
IMG_9044_edited-1
They were nice and took our picture. Too bad it was all blurry. :-(
DSC00260
Clean water was a problem because of all of the silver mining. So, one artist built this enclosure around a tank. They obviously aren't used anymore but this tank still stands.
IMG_9049_edited-1

IMG_9051_edited-1

IMG_9058_edited-1
The plague Column of the Virgin Mary Immaculate. It was given in thanks to the end of the plague. The sun was beginning to set and the sky was beautiful. I didn't Photoshop this at all!
IMG_9071_edited-1

IMG_9076_edited-1

IMG_9066_edited-1
Beautiful Christmas lights were still up
IMG_9082_edited-1

After the sun went down we had a couple of drinks to wait for the train in a local pub. Unfortunately Ryan took us to the local train station that didn't go to Prague. So, we walked a couple of miles and finally got a taxi to take us to the correct train station. We missed the train and had to wait another hour for the next one. I was tired!

We went back to the hotel to drop off our packages and then went to dinner at a restaurant near our hotel. It had yummy food!
IMG_9306_edited-1

DSC00263

DSC00261

As usual the 3 of them went to a pub after and I went to bed! Kutna Hora was amazing and I looked forward to getting up and seeing the Terezin Concentration Camp in the morning.

2 comments:

Natalie S said...

Hi Erin! I have really enjoyed looking at all of your pics and reading your commentary. I feel like I have learned so much and I can tell you guys had a great time!
Natalie Skelley

Erin said...

Thanks Natalie! I know you guys like to travel and you definitely need to see Prague. Truely spectacular!