Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The tooth fairy came to visit!

The tooth fairy came!!!  I can't believe that my baby girl has lost her first tooth!  I found losing teeth to be the absolute most traumatic part of childhood.  I can still remember my parents tying a string around my tooth.  I would give it these little tugs and of course it wouldn't come out.  But here's the thing....once you put that string on the tooth you HAVE to pull it.  The string gets under the tooth and there is no way that thing will come off.  Since I still have nightmares concerning tooth loss (I have nightmares if I miss my bi annual dental check, no lie)  I told David I wanted no part in this area of parenting.  He said no to clipping nails so I put my foot down on pulling teeth. 

Saturday I noticed that the tooth really needed to come out.  Reese was able to wiggle it a lot and I thought it was ready.  So....since David was working the weekend I decided to put my big girl panties on and pull the darn tooth.  I couldn't get it out!!!!  I tried a washcloth, a paper towel, even my bare hand!  I did NOT try a string...they don't make big girl panties "brave" enough for me to go that far.  Reese was so ready for that tooth to come out but she lost her nerve when I couldn't get the damn thing out.  So, I gave up and decided that I really wasn't meant to pull the tooth. 

Fast forward to tonight and Reese was doing awful things with that tooth.  BLECH!  I can't even make myself write the way that tooth would flap around in her mouth.  David was working late and I knew that tooth had to come out.  I got Reese all bathed and ready for bed and as soon as David came through the door I told him to pull the tooth.  Well, I kind of made things harder by my attempts Saturday, Reese wanted NO part of it.  We got desperate and told her she could use a popsicle to numb her mouth.  This is at 8PM and we were giving her something sugar filled, we were that desperate.  She was crying and carrying on and she would get the nerve and David would get his hand in her mouth and she would pull away.  This went on for a good 20 minutes.  She finally decided that she would let David pull it if I would sit next to her and hold her hand.  NOOOOOOOOOOO!  I was actually hiding in another room and would peek and see how things were going.  I seriously wanted no part in this.  But, I got my big girl panties back out, put them on, and headed out to be super mom.  I had Rowie in my lap and I held Reese's hand.  I had my head turned as far as it would go so I wouldn't have to see.  David got a hold of it and out it came!  Reese was ecstatic.  She ran around the house because she was so excited.  She called my mom and talked about how brave she was.  She even showed the tooth to Rowan and said "See this, this is a tooth.  You will get one of these one day."  She then wanted me to take a bunch of pictures of her and her tooth.  It was so tiny!

IMG_6431_edited-1

IMG_6433_edited-1

I see this as a rite of passage and that Reese really is becoming a little girl.  *sniff sniff*

1 comment:

Vicki said...

AWWW! Had to LOL at you being totally grossed out....I started getting uncomfortable just READING this. I cant handle wiggly teeth and hanging by gum threads.... YUCK. We'll see how we handle this when it's Paige's turn...LOL..